Monday, December 1, 2008

Tomstone and the 'Crazy English Cup!'

A few days ago, Christina and Meg were invited by their School (South Campus) to come be judges at an English Speaking competition down at the Tongliao University. Naturally, everyone else from American wanted to tag along for the ride to see them judge, and to check out what the competition would be like!

It was all run by a Chinese English Teacher named Tomstone (whose English is undeniably great), and it was named the 'Crazy English Cup'. It wasn't all too Crazy, but it WAS very exciting, informative, and inspiring to watch. 12 Chinese students from the university participated - each of them hailing from different departments of study at the university, but each having a certain penache for English speaking. They were asked to give an opening speech, then were asked two questions from the panel of judges, then were given a random topic to give an impromptu speech about. It was EXTREMELY inspiring to watch these young men and women from the university perform in front of a large audience of their peers and teachers.

Note: The Judges panel consisted of seven people. Two Chinese English Professors from the university (Tomstone was one of them), a Chinese English Teacher from the #1 School named Marsha (she is our good friend here in Tongliao), Meg and Christina, and two other Americans that are living in Tongliao! Their names are Mandy and Ned, and are a young girl and older fellow from New Mexico. They are both teaching English at the university, and are extremely kind and happy people to be around. We have had lunch with them once since meeting them, and hopefully will meet up with them again soon!

The students giving speeches exhibited a strong ability to speak English quite fluently, and spoke on the topic 'Who Am I' quite frequently in their opening speeches. I wish I had brought with me something to write with, as I would have taken notes of their beautiful words. As I sat in my seat I realized that these students are only a year younger than me, or more likely, my age, and have already come close to mastering two languages on top of studying into a field of their interest at their university, and are only now beginning their adult life. I too am doing quite a similar thing - but I am doing it in their country. It was a humbling experience. I was blown away with the studious strength and power in the students answers and speeches. It made me want to study my Chinese harder, and drive myself to achieve my goals, and such. Indeed, these are somewhat cliche things to wish for, but the ideas struck me, and I'm happy they did. My direction is still a bit askew, but at least my driving force has had a bit of a kick start.

Alas, I digress on my story! The competition went swimmingly, and a young girl named 'Amy' was crowned the victor of the cup. And rightfully so. Her English was absolutely superb, and she deserved the win. Her preparation seemed the best, although I am quite sure that all the students who participated in the English Competition worked VERY hard to be a part of the entire experience. If I were their teacher, I would be proud beyond words.

No comments: